@Brad
To open a member twice you don't really <open> it, instead when a member is
already open and selected you just click the specific icon on the right
upper corner, it looks like a small rectangle with a vertical line in the
middle.
It's not dangerous at all, as it's not a second, or third and on, copy:
it's the same file which can be seen in different tabs so you can see
different portions of it. The moment you make a change in one line it will
reflect in any tab with the same source file open. I find it extremely
useful when I write c specifications while coding variables' declaration at
the same time. This is a VSC feature. It works with any open file.

@Jon
Yes, I agree with you that VSC logic of managing files and projects it's
tricky, especially coming from other coding environments, but as far as I
know it's common among a certain class of IDEs , like NetBeans, rather
than a MS feature. Basically VSC is just an editor with lots of generic
functions, what makes the difference are the extensions you install.

Hope it helps.