I have been corrected. Pascal and Modula 2 do support pointers. They are
just "type" safe. C and RPG pointers are not type safe. They can point to
anything.

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020, 11:07 AM Alan Campin <alan0307d@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<< Uh, no. RPG (ILE or OPM) is not even *remotely* like C, except in the
" /free" syntax mode (and even there, I'd judge it closer to Pascal,
Modula-2, PL/I, or one of the QBASICs). Then again, traditional RPG is
not even remotely like *any* other HLL. >>

Have to strongly disagree with you, James. ILE RPG is very C-like but when
I talk about this. I am not talking about OPM or RPG IV. I am talking about
writing a modern 100% Free RPG.

Languages like Pascal or Modula 2 don't have pointers and dynamic memory
allocation. C and RPG ILE do.

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 10:38 AM James H. H. Lampert <