On Sun, Oct 4, 2020 at 10:45 AM John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Sun, Oct 4, 2020 at 11:23 AM Brad Stone <bvstone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am playing around with some sockets and I am finding that the speed at
which RPG sockets receive data is much slower than, say, a PC downloading
with a browser.

There are many things which I've found much faster on a PC than on an
IBM i. My intuition says this is almost all down to the respective
roles and design choices of the systems being compared. The
performance of the IBM i doesn't seem to be affected much as you add
users and workload. If I have too many things running on my
single-user PC, I start to notice.

I would agree here, except that I'm using a Power 8 (41A) with just one
user in this case. Should have much more "horsepower" than my PC.
(should being the operative keyword here... haha).

Is it simply that RPG is a "slower" language than C, etc?

I doubt that is the reason for what you are seeing. Again, they are
designed for different roles, but I think RPG and C are both very fast
and efficient languages on the i.

I think the main bottleneck I'm seeing in this case is the small amount of
data being sent by the server each read(). The main reason I am asking is
I was testing download speeds for larger files (1gb and up) and when you
get up in that range we're talking 10 minutes for the PC and 1 hour for the
IBM as far as download speeds. But that also should be occurring on the
PC as well. I'm just too lazy to do some packet sniffing to make sure. :)