Hello Jon,

Am 22.08.2020 um 23:08 schrieb Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Well mostly I used a C64 with sprite support etc. Don't remember doing much peeking and poking but that may be my ancient memory.

Same here. I'm not at all into the 8-Bit machines at all. Most of my knowledge is second hand. I just remembered PEEK and POKE as being cumbersome to handle. :-)

I "play" with a lot of stuff on Mac and (lately) Linux mostly for the fun of it. Not to mention Scratch on an iPad. So I understand the joy of just playing

I'm glad you can have that feeling for yourself, also.

- but even a 150 can run V5 and that was a big improvement not just in RPG. Admittedly you'd have to keep reloading the OS since you wouldn't have valid license keys but to me it would be worth it on a non-production machine.

Honestly, too much hassle for me. The sheer knowledge of needing to reload every two month would be a serious brake to even start trying stuff.

Besides, I have an 800 with V5R2 without the need for reloading frequently, but there's still the point of power dissipation. 170W (with just two disks) compared to approx 100W for the 150 makes a difference when run 24/7.

As you've already noticed fixed form samples are becoming harder to find in part because the biggest resource (iPro News) has gone off air and the content can't be recovered from the way back machines.

Yes. That's why I try to collect available resources and plan to bring them online in try-as400.pocnet.net over time.

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc