"Assembler" as in PL/MI Bruce ? I suspect that even MI would be too high level if you really want to bit twiddle!

Interestingly had the original question been about C or MI I could understand it since they still have utility. It was ancient RPG that got me and (at the time) I didn't know we were talking V5R4.