Hello Evan,

Am 09.03.2020 um 23:32 schrieb Evan Harris <auctionitis@xxxxxxxxx>:

It's completely valid; keeping people chained to a terminal interface because you can gussy it up is what is invalid.

Did it ever occur to you that (long standing) users might be actually *wanting* to have that fast, lean interface?

How do you explain the Indian Pizza Guy mentioned by Holger *not* writing something on a LAMP stack but prefers a text UI? I wonder how many more examples against your generalisation Holger can come up with.

May I ask you to try to reflect about the fact that all people are different and assuming your apparent picture of users "chained" to something isn't universally applicable?

As stated many times, I am *not* a typical user. But I *am* a user, of the stuff I code. And there are (very few) other users of what I create.

Too many green screen programmers have found reasons to continue with 5250 when a web interface would have been better.

Perfectly valid. And vice versa there have been web programmers totally f*cking up web UI until it's so tedious to use, that especially long standing users will curse until they get their green screen back.

I saw some company programmed web based forms (not necessarily being served by IBM machines) and sometimes, someone seems to think, it's good to put *any* available information about a customer or whatever the form is for on that single web page. Countless pushbuttons are ready to be used, some with a very intuitive text in them, like "…". The screen is so crowded, one must actually scan the screen with their eyes to locate what you're searching for.

(Besides, doing likewise in a 5250 screen *is* possible with the restricted space of 24x80 or 27x132 but it's a lot harder.)

Don't get me wrong, please. There are perfectly valid claims to use a web UI. A dating platform comes to mind, but that's maybe not a typical IBM i use case. Almost always when pictures are needed to provide needed context, because text isn't sufficient, I'll utterly agree that there should be a web interface.

But neither you nor nobody else can never convince me that it's strictly necessary to come up with a web interface just for the sake of having a web interface.

I get it, it's hard to go back to being a beginner when you are an expert ins something.

From my PoV, I *am* a beginner with IBM i, in any way you can possibly think of.

you need to do this stuff to get web services and other modern interfaces.

Not all shops need that.

so the CIO doesn't classify it as a brick holding the business back

The shops/companies I am thinking of (and where my real-world experience stems from) are often so small that there is no CIO, but only a boss and minions. This counts for Germany, because that's where I live.

Whether you like it or not, or agree with it or not, the CIO looks at those green screens as primitive devices holding his users and their productivity back.

Thats some brave assumption about all CIOs being alike, in every country. My boss *wants* a TUI, for a lot of small tools to help with some everyday tasks. Also, he's not a typical boss. To geeky for some people, maybe.

So, can we please agree what we're talking about completely different tiers of companies and a lot of misunderstandings are based on assumptions and not necessarily actual facts? It's easy to compare apples with pears and never stop ranting about the apple guys being inferior and completely wrong. But besides creating bad mood for any reader, it doesn't change anything to the better.

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc