A lot of times, I find something like this to be the result of not quite following a standard.

For example, a true standard is that every field with the same name has the same data.  While we can argue about whether ITEMDESC and CUSTDESC should just be DESCRIPTION, but let's assume that fields are supposed to be the same.  Well, if that's the case then CUSTOMER can be the customer number in every file in the database, and in face related records should have the same value.  But you have to code that way, making sure to only deal with related records.  The first time you grab a different record, you have issues.

As noted, you can get around that with prefixes.  I also like qualified data structures (I like them a lot, but hey, I like Java too).

It's similar to the folks who use a unique, system-generated number as the actual key for every file. This in theory is freaking awesome, because you can change customer number and every related record will change with it.  But it takes a bit more work whenever you're trying to join files together in queries.  So often the customer number is attached to a file somewhere and it doesn't get fixed.