Sorry, that borders on sadism.

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 9:59 AM Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>
everyone who use the table may not want to use the long names.
</snip>

Actually I name stuff just to discourage use of the short names.

CREATE OR REPLACE TABLE Lookup_table for system name T00000001
(
Lookup_item for column C000000001 VARCHAR(100) ALLOCATE(20)
not null constraint Lookup_table_primary_key PRIMARY KEY,
-- Item to lookup
Lookup_value_character for column C000000002 VARCHAR(100) ALLOCATE(10)
with default null, -- Value of item (if character)
Lookup_value_integer for column C000000003 bigint with default null,
-- Value of item (if integer)
Lookup_value_decimal for column C000000004 decimal (25, 5) with
default null, -- Value of item (if decimal)
CONSTRAINT Lookup_table_has_a_value CHECK ( -- One, and only one, of
the lookup result columns will have a value.
(Lookup_value_character is not null and lookup_value_integer is null
and Lookup_value_decimal is null) or
(Lookup_value_character is null and lookup_value_integer is not null
and lookup_value_decimal is null) or
(Lookup_value_character is null and lookup_value_integer is null and
lookup_value_decimal is not null))
)
RCDFMT T00000001R
;