I think you have some superfluous code there, Shane.

Your existing code could be written as this single line:

D ADS EUDS EXTNAME(FILE)

- the "U" in column 23 assumes a Data Area Data Structure and reads in the *DTAARA ADS at the start of the program - no need for DEFINE or IN.

The equivalent free format would look like:

Dcl-DS ADS EXTNAME('FILE') Dtaara(*Auto) End-DS;

NOTE: As the RPG IV Reference states,

"Externally-described data structure
Specify either the EXT keyword or the EXTNAME keyword as the first keyword."

HTH,
Brian.