Hi Justin,

Since you say record locks are common (or "aren't uncommon", which I take to be the same thing) I would suggest that you write/change your code to expect them.

I did this many years ago (actually, it was still RPG/400 at the time) and my users LOVED it.  Previously, it'd crash to the display program messages screen, and the messages didn't mean too much to users... they'd just say "this is the message we always answer with R" or whatever...  but new people were scared of it. I digress...   after my updates, when a record was locked, it'd say "This order" (or customer, promotion, etc... whatever it happened to be) is in use by user XXXXX in job XXXXX and that'd sit on the screen while it retried every 5 seconds.    They LOVED it.

This way, if they were stuck for a long time, they could call the appropriate person and work it out.  Or, if the other person was out of it quickly, they could wait... they didn't have to sit and hit R repeatedly and feel unsure.

Honestly, it was really easy to code, too...  just check for errors and retry in a loop.  Put up a status message while waiting...   optionally, set a limit (maybe 5 minutes?) on the time it'd wait by limiting how many times it'd loop.  Really, really easy to code.

Just my 2 cents.