My experience is that usually it is one or two programs where this is an issue and fixing those programs makes the problem go away.

First, why is a record locked for more than a fraction of a second, ever?  Almost always it is a maintenance program where a record is read in as  locked, and then displayed on a user's screen waiting for user-action. Stop doing that and record locks disappear,

* read the record (unlocked).
* display the record, along with a hidden data structure of the
original values.
* when ENTER pressed, check new values to original values.
* If changes were made, get the record again (locked).
* Compare new values to original values (maybe changed by another user?)
* if OK, do the update.  Record lock is sub-second.