On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 2:24 PM, Soucy, Michael <MSoucy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If I do WRKLNK and look at the CSV file in character mode I can see that the first 3 characters are those weird characters I referenced before. I presume those are the Byte Over Marks. If I change the character type as suggested it removes them. If I change it back to what it was before they come back. I get the same results no mater if I save it directly to the IFS or to my local PC.

First of all, Buck tried to introduce you to the proper term gently. I
believe he was too gentle. BOM stands for Byte ORDER Mark.

Second, CHGATR will not remove any bytes or (re)introduce any bytes. I
don't think you are really listening to the advice of looking at the
hex characters. Or you are not understanding.

When you're inspecting a file using WRKLNK, option 5 (or,
equivalently, using DSPF directly on the file), what you get is a
character (not hex) display. In this mode, you CANNOT BE SURE what the
hex codes are.

You ***MUST*** press F10 to get the hex display. I don't care if you
don't see the BOM in character mode. That doesn't matter. Press F10.
The extra bytes will be there. EFBBBF. No matter what the CCSID is,
those bytes will be there at the beginning. Those three bytes are the
BOM for UTF-8, and CHGATR has no effect whatsoever on the bytes.

John Y.