A progress report:

Henrik, and others, have talked of timestamp & ROW CHANGE. Soooo.... being bored, and realizing that Y2K is no longer a concern, maybe its time I moved forward with my thinking.  Frankly is not going well.  Since SQL is new too me I decided to explore ROW CHANGE.  Although that is not going well it is clear to me that the whole set of problems is firmly and only in my own head.

The instructions I have seen so far remind me of the recipe for Russian Bear Soup: "First, catch a bear."