A couple of points.

First, I am retrieving the original data; as many fields as needed.  But so aren't you.  That's kind of the starting point for both of us.  So there is no issue about that part.  We both do it.

Second, this is the RPG list; I feel comfortable in using RPG techniques in this setting.  The idea of refusing to use any RPG feature that isn't also available in HTML strikes me as an odd business decision.

Third, whilst not part of the discussion, you raise an interesting problem.  What do you do in the browser version when there is a data collision?  What extra work is created if there is a false positive?  I had not considered the browser solution, but it must be a real thorn when there are data collisions?