On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Dan <dan27649@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is of course assuming that CPYFRMIMPF doesn't properly handle
embedded quotes. I don't remember off the top of my head if it does.

I believe CPYFRMIMPF does, but only on the basis that we are using
CPYTOIMPF in a production app to do the same thing in the opposite
direction. I would presume that:
CPYTOIMPF FROMFILE(a) TOSTMF(b.csv) STMFCCSID(*PCASCII) RCDDLM(*CRLF)
STRDLM(*DBLQUOTE) FLDDLM(',')
then
CPYFRMIMPF FROMSTMF(b.csv) TOFILE(C) RCDDLM(*CRLF) STRDLM(*DBLQUOTE)
FLDDLM(',')
would result in file(a) = file(c).

I am kind of uneasy with that presumption, because of IBM's track
record with these commands, but it might be correct. I have to admit
IBM has improved them quite a lot. I was just really traumatized by
how bad these were when I first encountered them, and PTSD doesn't go
away easily.

Incidentally, the parameter that is most relevant to this thread is
STRESCCHR, and it does have the proper default for OP's use case.

One thing OP hasn't said is how the received CSV is being generated.
If it's generated by Excel, that's a different story than being
generated by CPYTOIMPF. And there are of course lots of possibilities
other than just those two.

John Y.