Interesting how much faster IBM has been able to make the program call in
the last few years. The difference used to be huge but they cut it way down.

10 million calls on an unloaded Blade Server V7R1

Service Program 1.009 seconds
No Cycle (Main Keyword) Program Call 23.348 seconds
Cycle - LR Off 31.78 seconds
Cycle - LR On 32.355 seconds

I believe that my original point is still true. Program calls have gotten
faster but service programs are a different way of thinking.

My best example is that back in V3R7 I was looking at a project. We had a
very complex pricing system. The CEO was trying to make it too complex for
a competitor to figure out a price. A waste of time since the customers
only carried about the net price.

Previous programmers had done the monolith thing and put all the logic to
do the calculations in three different programs written in three slightly
different ways in the three programs. It was nightmare to make a change.

When I looked at it from an ILE perspective, I released I had three
different methods. GetBasePrice, GetCustomerPrice, GetDiscountDetail.

Each one had its own parameters and GetCustomerPrice called GetBasePrice to
get a base price.

I suppose their would be some way to program this using a program call but
I would call that a mess. Three separate programs but where do you store
the discount details generated by GetCustomerPrice.The only way I can think
of practically would be to pass 7 different parameters on every call with a
flag to say what function to preform and array of records of some kinds to
return discount details.

The solution in ILE and a service program was simple and clean. With a
program call, ugly. What happens if I want to add new method?

Encouraging people to use program calls just doesn't make sense to me.