From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of john e
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 9:21 AM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: RPG - I'm not dead yet!

Joe,

Ok, i didn't know that. An array defined as 3u0 is the trick. Thanks!
In my - rather limited - experience with RPG-to-Java, if a pass a character
field to Java to a byte-array it gets translated, which is not correct as
you already stated. Apparently, the compiler "sees" it's a normal field (and
not a 3u0 field) and thus handles it as text.

Charles,
Ok, i didn't know that either, although, now you stated it, i knew or did
know (forgotten/biased?) that the JVM was implemented below SLIC, not above
which would be indeed very inefficient.

Maybe i'm a bit too harsh on OS/400, it is indeed - these days - a very
versatile platform.
Anyway, although i'm quite critical, i AM a fan of OS/400, the platform.
I'm just not a fan of RPG, and think it is the achillesheel of OS/400
development.

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Joe Pluta