Henrik

Niels Liisberg <nli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
30-07-2010 18:13
Please respond to
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject
Re: Future of RPG was: Open Access for RPG

Maybe I can help here.

The 5250 bridge running on Zend Server is fantastic if you want to make
screen scraping apps in PHP.

IceCap on the other hand is a two edged sward:

First - it is a 5250 bridge. Very similar to the Zend Bridge but for the
ILE environment . IceCap is just a simple service program you bind to you
RPG / COBOL ... ILE program. That means the you can even do batch
interaction with your 5250 - it dont need a web-frame work at this point.

Next - We have build a extJs based web 2.0 emulator (actually in RPGLE)
that uses the service program above. We have filled it with "user exits"
so you can write you own "scripting" of your 5250 app and garnish the web
2.0 with graphs, flash and what have you - and of cause in RPG.

The complete package is shipped whit a extJs based menu framework that
runs both the 5250 emulator along with, "new" web 2.0 apps - that may be
IceBreak, CGI, PHP or even websphere.

You can also use it the other way around - like Henrik is. He is using
powerExt as the primary front-end and the just "call" 5250 - IceCap'ed
apps with a URL. This trick can be done from any web-frame works; Valance,
RPGUI, WebSmart, webspehre, RPGSP etc.

It is true that the IceCap web 2.0 runs on top on a IceBreak server - even
the free Community Edition. You only have to purchase the IceCap package
where the price tag starts as lo as 2000$ for 520 boxes.

It is also true that it is a rather new product and we are still working
on it. But we have been working on it since Aaron, Nathan and Scott C. was
extremely help full back in december 2008. Thanx guys - you were a great
inspiration. I owe you one :)

Try to search the "WEB400" mailing list for "Niels 5250" and see how this
product evolved.

Yes - it is only around two years, but we have successfully used it for
simple 1-to-1 web enabling of old IBMi and S/36 !!! app's - We have made
new apps for iPhones / Black Berries / Android. Used it for web-services
encapsulation, and even to integrate webshops with old greenscreen apps
where we did not have the source. Created new .NET apps where the core
logic is RESTfull services.

Best regards

Niels Liisberg

Chief Technology Officer