On 4/22/2010 9:04 AM, DLee@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Also, I noticed on displaying the properties of the T: drive, it appears
to be mapped to SWBCApps on 'SWBC-apps' (T:)

So if you sign on to your PC, open up a DOS window, and type 'net use' what does it say?

I'm assuming it'll say this:

Status Local Remote Network
OK T: \\SWBC-APPS\SWBCApps Microsoft Windows Network

If so, then this tells me that you're using a technology called SMB/CIFS. That technology is frequently referred to as "Windows Networking" (or "Microsoft Windows Network" in the above screen shot)

(I couldn't tell that from your phrase "PC Networking" because there are a lot of different network protocols used by PCs. You could've meant any of them! Furthermore, SMB/CIFS is not a PC-only protocol.. it's used by many things, including Unix, IBM i, SANs and even appliances like photocopiers and printers.)

If I go to QNTC on ifs, I can find SWBC-APPS. so I was hoping I could
pass my pdf to folder \\SWBC-APPS\SWBCApps\Darrell\

You can... but you can't use Windows syntax. In IFS syntax, that folder would be called

/QNTC/SWBC-APPS/SWBCApps/Darrell

Basically, to transform one to the other, start with the Windows syntax.

\\SWBC-APPS\SWBCApps\Darrell

Flip the slashes around, since only Windows uses backslash, every other computer platform anywhere uses foreslash. So flip them around, and you have this:

//SWBC-APPS/SWBCApps/Darrell

The double-slash // means that it should connect to a windows network host. On IBM i, you use /QNTC/ for that purpose. So change // to /QNTC/

/QNTC/SWBC-APPS/SWBCApps/Darrell

So that should be the proper path name. In a perfect world, PDF tool should be able to target that IFS path and write the file without problems.

But, unfortunately the world isn't perfect.

a) Many IBM i shops are run by people who still haven't learned TCP/IP basics, and therefore don't have DNS resolution set up.

b) The userid/password of the user running this program on i will be sent to sign in to the Windows PC. If the userid/password on i doesn't match the one required by the PC, it'll fail.

c) IBM's implementation of Windows networking is IMHO a little flaky, and a little buggy. In some shops it just works great the first time you try. In others, especially shops using the latest & greatest from Microsoft, it often doesn't work and it's hard to tell why.

I don't see what any of this has to do with RUNRMTCMD, though.