This has all the earmarks of a situation where you changed the source code, and did not recompile the object.

The steps you took (CRTRPGMOD, then UPDSRVPGM, then signoff/on) should've worked. Please check that you're compiling from the right source member. It's easy to accidentially get the wrong library or wrong source file -- that'll often lead to symptoms like this.

Also make sure you're compiling to the same module (in the same library) you're specifying with UPDSRVPGM, and that you're running UPDSRVPGM on the proper copy of the service program.

I do this (change a module and debug a service program) several times a day, every day, and do not have any problems.