User spaces have a max size of 16mb. That is one I cannot understand.
You
would have thought IBM would have teraspace enabled user spaces years
ago.

Permanent objects that reside in single-level storage have always had a
"segment size" limitation of 16 MB, since the original IBM System/38
running on the original (48-bit) IMPI CISC hardware, and since CPF
Release 1.

Temporary storage (in teraspace) has been available on RISC hardware
since OS/400 V4R4 (available since May of 1999).

If you really need to create and maintain a "permanent" object of > 16
MB, you can create a stream file in the IFS, and then use the Unix
mmap() API to map it into teraspace, where it can be directly addressed
via pointers.

IBM has provided the ability to do this since before the turn of the
century.

All true, but does not address the User Space comments. It seems silly that
since such changes as long ago as the turn of the century, User Space
objects still suffer from such limitations. Your workaround solutions were
good for ten years ago; is that reason enough to not improve other methods?

Dennis Lovelady
"Most writers regard the truth as their most valuable possession, and
therefore are economical in its use."
-- Mark Twain