-----Message d'origine-----
De : rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] De la part de Jon Paris

There are three problems with the pointer-based-template
approach - both solved by the "real" template support in 6.1

1) A based DS cannot specify INZ values.

Seems obvious (now!)

2) The compiler cannot detect that you didn't really mean to
reference a field in the template. You won't find this out
until run time when it goes book with a pointer exception.
Which of course is only a problem for people who don't test
fully <grin>

So, no problem there, either!

3) The cast majority of RPGers on seeing the BASED keyword
will go "What the ... " - I used to teach this technique in
my sessions on the D-spec but have all but dropped it (and
relegated it to notes pages) because such a large percentage
of the audience just glazed-over when they saw it.

I was glazed over at first while learning on Scott's site. But only in the same way that I glazed over while learning RPGIII after only ever using COBOL. It's true that hardly anyone here seems to know about templates. But now, having been obliged to actually use them, everything seems quite obvious.