M. Lazarus wrote:
Barbara,

I haven't tried it in many years, since the limitations made it unattractive to use. I thought a RAF referred to the output of a FMTDTA; we've called it a limits file. I think that the "R" in the F spec is optional. Each record of the limits file is twice the length of the key. So if the alpha key is 10 characters and I wanted all record values starting from D through F, and W through Y, the records would contain:
12345678901234567890
D FZZZZZZZZZ
W YZZZZZZZZZ

That works fine when there is one key. But, IIRC, for a compound key using an externally described limits file would be a lot easier, but the compiler doesn't allow it.

I think I'm missing something. (*)

If you're talking about creating the limits file without using FMTDTA, you _could_ use an externally described file. If you're talking about using the limits file created by FMTDTA to control access to another file, you never actually use the limits file in your RPG program other than coding the F spec. The other file can be externally described.

(*) Not surprising that I'm missing something. I've never felt very comfortable with RAF. Any RAF programs I've ever seen have just been compiler testcases where the limits file was created by hand.