Trigger recursion is supported. If the trigger invocation /crashes/ then presumably it is because the language or the way in which the program is written or compiles prevents it from being invoked recursively; i.e. not because the trigger feature disallows it. And although recursion is supported, beware being over consumptive of automatic storage and/or number of recursive calls, for which too much of either will terminate the job [so best implemented with isolation to prevent partial updates].

I am not sure if the attempt to describe the problem is an indication that the trigger is effecting normalization, but as Rob suggests, the problem seems to be from a lack of normalization.

Regards, Chuck

Brown, Stephen GRNRC wrote:
I have a situation where I need to keep a number of key data items
in sync within the one file.

There is an existing trigger program over the file which I'd like
to see if I can use to solve my problem.

Ok here goes,
we can have the same member on our main membership file many times.
We are going through an exercise to link these accounts.
Once linked I need to keep items such as name, address details in
sync across all accounts. Because of the existence of the trigger
program I thought I could maybe use this to avoid having to scroll
through our system looking for places where these items are updated.

<<SNIP unintelligible tabbed words>>
Need to update Member address of linked Member (this
will execute Trg1 and therefore crashes)