Depending on when\how the rows could be /lost/. Certainly the same issue exists when an OVERRIDE SYSTEM DEFAULT is used to place a row into an existing hole in the sequence for the identity. For the report scenario, I still do not see much of an issue; active data could be missed for timing just as well as for RRN and using previously deleted values.

Regards, Chuck

Luis Rodriguez wrote:

An advantage in using an ID Col would be that with RRN() you could
lose some records if your file has been created with REUSEDLT(*YES),
as a new record could be inserted in an old RRN. ID Columns (AFAIK)
would not have that issue.

CRPence wrote:

<<SNIP>>

I wonder though, what would all of the overhead of an IDcol achieve
that a RRN() could not, for the same scenario? The relative row
number is a similarly arbitrary value, as compared to an identity.