From: Wilt, Charles

I've never found SQL limitations to be a killer once it was explained to
the users. Particularly if
the inability to page backward from the beginning was accompanied by a
increase in fields you can use
for "Start At" or "subset/filter by"

As David Gibbs alluded to, you can do most of that using OPNQRYF if it's
really necessary. The point is to use the right tool for the job, and NOT
to remove features just because you want to use a specific tool.

<opinion>
I think it's absolutely wrong for a programmer to tell the user what
features they can and cannot have because of an artificial limitation
imposed by programming. It's the programmer's job to provide EVERYTHING the
user needs, but to balance the price and performance. If a user really
needs positioning capabilities, then it's the programmer's job to give it to
them, not to tell them they have to give up something else.

Technology-driven decisions often aren't in the best interests of the user.
</opinion>

Joe