Walden,

That's a fair point, but as you probably know (given that you use some of my
company's products!), this is for a tool (AllFusion 2E Web Option) that
provides a front-end to existing apps. So we can't make decisions for our
customers....

Obviously my system is really meant to ensure that users can't *screw things
up* by using the back button (which seems to happen *a lot* with web front
ends built over existing server applications and is, as I've pointed out,
easy to get round). Frankly, I've seen a number of product vendors say that
this is a "known problem" which "can't be avoided". Which is bullsh!t.

In terms of our tool, on a global level, it would be easy enough to change
it to get the back button to invoke the F3 or F12 command key. Or create a
lookup table which contains the application/screen and defines the command
key to simulate when the user presses the back button......

Rory

On 4/12/07, Walden H. Leverich <WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>This works perfectly - if the user uses the back button (or indeed,
attempts
>to go back multiple screens), their existing page is simply refreshed.

And now you've written a web-app that behaves like a 5250 app. In a
well-designed web app the back button should work like, um, the back
button! If you're web-ifying an existing app, fine, but it's no way to
create a new app.

-Walden

--
Walden H Leverich III