We got around the back button problem very simply. Each page contains a
hidden session-identifier (a 128-byte string) as an <input type="hidden"...>
form field. Part of that string is a 5-digit 'screen counter', which is
incremented by the iSeries application each time it's called (so it doesn't
refer to a a particular screen) and part of it is a 1-byte session status.

For each page, an onLoad() function checks the screen counter in the
session-identifier field against the screen counter field saved in a cookie.
If the session-identifier screen counter is > the cookie screen-counter, the
cookie is updated with the session-identifier screen counter value. However,
if the session-identifier screen counter is <= the cookie screen-counter
(meaning the user pressed the back button), a screen-identifier session
status is set to 'R' (meaning 'refresh') and the page is auto-submitted. The
iSeries application then simply refreshes the current screen that it
determines the user is on.

This works perfectly - if the user uses the back button (or indeed, attempts
to go back multiple screens), their existing page is simply refreshed.