And if I might interject along with Bob's all you need to know.. use WDSC
and when in doubt, CTRL+Space for all the opcodes and formatting :)

Ron Power
Programmer
Information Services
City Of St. John's, NL
P.O. Box 908
St. John's, NL
A1C 5M2
709-576-8132
rpower@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.stjohns.ca/
Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm. -
Sir Winston Churchill

"Bob Cozzi" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
2007/02/09 10:57 AM
Please respond to

"'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: RPG III

Jerry,

...[one of the] arguments for using /free was that it looks more like
"modern" languages like Java and C, which the few kids coming out of
college IT courses are used to. <<

Most of the "kids" today are programming with drag/drop stuff and not
writing
much code at all.

I find that Java is "king" it two shops in North America: (1) IBM and (2)
Sun.
Most other companies (inside and outside of the midrange world) use Java
like
iSeries shops use user-written CMD (commands).

All those interpreted languages are about the only languages "kids" are
learning
in school: JavaScript, PHP, Perl, Python. Of course they also currently
teach
the .Net stuff and will continue to do so until they realize that Windows
Vista's XML-based user interface language is so much better.

What bothers me about the /free crowd is that they all seem slanted. Of
course
you have to go to /free, that way you need to read articles, buy books,
attend
seminars, etc. on it. After all, how many times do you need to pay someone
teach you how to do a fixed-format CHAIN opcode?

Vendors hate it when their stuff lasts forever.

Now don't get me wrong. Since that the vast majority of people are now
running
OS/400 V5.1 or later (most are on V5.3 from my research) seeing /free
examples
in articles is great. I use /free when I write code for clients or my own
stuff,
where appropriate.
Simply because /free is now available to most, doesn't mean the billions
of
lines of existing code need to be moved to /free syntax. Some of it just
won't
move. Simply because some people don't work in end-user shops they think
the
world is their fishbowl. "Use /free or the kid gets it!"
The fact that we use or do not use /free RPG has ZERO impact on the
success of
the platform and our jobs.
Teaching /free syntax is easy, here's all you need to know:

Start with /free end with /end-free.
Reverse the opcode and factor 1 where applicable.
End each statement with a semicolon.
Don't use MOVE/MOVEL, DO or any opcode where there is now a corresponding
built-in function.

Rinse and repeat.

-Bob Cozzi
www.i5PodCast.com