GKern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I think that's similar to what I ended up doing. Below is the code that
works:

 C  Eval      String_V = *Blanks
 C  Eval      String_V = %TrimR(String) + Ifs_RecEnd + x'00'
 C  Callp     WriteIFSRec(%STR(%ADDR(String_V)):File1)

Sorry, I missed something when I replied before.  If your code is indeed
working like this, you are actually writing the first 2 "length" bytes
of the varying variable.  If you really want to do that, your code will
not work if the length of the string is less than 256 _or_ if the length
is divisible by 256, because the 2-byte binary value would contain
x'00'.  %STR will find that x'00' and not bother with the rest of the
string.  (For example, the 2-byte binary value of 10 is x'000A'; 255 is
x'00FF'; 256 is x'0100', 512 is x'0200'.)

So, if you do need to write the first 2 length bytes, you need to code
like this, just passing %ADDR and not doing the %STR.

 C  Eval      String_V = *Blanks
 C  Eval      String_V = %TrimR(String) + Ifs_RecEnd + x'00'
 C  Callp     WriteIFSRec(%ADDR(String_V):File1)