Bob: "Use %addr(myReturnField) as the buffer parameter"

That worked!

Bob: "If you do have a hex 0 in the field, you can still delete it by
doing this at
V5.3 or later: myData = %trimR(myData: x'4000');
This trims off both blanks (hex 40) and nulls ( hex 0) from the right-side
of
the value."

That works too!!

Bob: "If this is true, where you passing the value to the fputs() API
using %addr()???
When OPTIONS(*STRING) is used for a parameter that is a POINTER and passed
by
value, %ADDR() cause the system to avoid converting it to a
null-terminated
string, thus you would have to add the null yourself. Another option is to
wrap
the address in %STR() or if possible, avoid using %ADDR(data) for that
parameter."

I think that's similar to what I ended up doing. Below is the code that
works:

     C                   Eval      String_V = *Blanks
     C                   Eval      String_V = %TrimR(String) + Ifs_RecEnd
+ x'00'
      * Open the IFS file for update and write the updated string...
     C                   Eval      File1 =
OpenIFS(%TrimR(IFS_Filename):'w')
     C                   Callp
WriteIFSRec(%STR(%ADDR(String_V)):File1)

Thanks for all your input Bob. And thanks for your effort in keeping
timely articles coming to my inbox.

Scott: "This prototype is wrong, but not in the way I expected it to be!"

Well that's what I get for using code someone else here at my office
implemented (as working code) before me.

a) do not use %addr() or a pointer for the first parameter!  You should
code your variable name directly, or if you want to remove blanks, put it
inside a %trim() or %trimr().  Do not use %addr or a pointer when you have

options(*string) coded.

I'll revise the above code and test it.

b) The second parameter should be the pointer that was returned by the
fopen() API.

I think I got that part right :)

c) Consider changing the prototype name from "WriteIFSRec" to "fputs".
fputs() is an ANSI standard API included in every C runtime library on
every platform.  Renaming it to something else just confuses people and
makes it harder to understand what you're talking about.  It also makes it
harder to find info in the manual.  Just a tip.

Thanks for the tip, but there are other programs/applications using what I
borrowed as my 'starting code'. Thanks for your IFS tutorial too. I put
all of your IFSIO_H into a copybook and directed my other programmers to
acknowledge it. As always, hindsight... (is a fine piece of a$$).

"You could use the IFS APIs (instead of the ILE C runtime APIs) but
there'd be no advantage to them in this case, in fact, fputs() might even
be easier to use."

Just to clear up my confusion, which API's did I use. Am I correct in
saying I used the IFS API's. And your IFSIO_H copybook contains the ILE C
API's?

"As luck would have it, I just wrote an article about the ILE C runtime
APIs for the IFS, it's set to be sent in the Thursday edition of my
newsletter -- however, it doesn't demonstrate writing data, only reading.
Maybe I'll write a follow-on that explains writing in a future
newsletter."

Thanks for all you do for our community Scott. It is sincerely
appreciated.

Regards, Jerry

Gerald Kern - MIS Project Leader
Lotus Notes/Domino Administrator
IBM Certified RPG IV Developer
The Toledo Clinic, Inc.
4235 Secor Road
Toledo, OH 43623-4299
Phone 419-479-5535
gkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the
sender by reply e-mail and destroy this and all copies of this message.