Thanks to all. I just completed a proof-of-concept that works rather nicely.

First, I have a calling module, in C, that has a 60480-byte buffer, which it fills with lowercase "x", and null-terminates so it can be printf'ed. Befor printf'ing the buffer, I call an ILE RPG module, passing it the buffer.

The called RPG module has a 1-byte input parameter, and a 3-character field based on a pointer. It sets the basing pointer 60400 bytes into the buffer, sets the field to "BOZ", sets the basing pointer 60403 bytes into the buffer, sets the field to "BAR", and calls an RPG PROGRAM, passing its own 1-byte input parameter.

The called RPG program is a close copy of the module described above, except that it puts "Frobozzco" (in 3 3-character pieces) at 60420 bytes into the buffer.

The output is a whole bunch of lowercase x'es, with "BOZBAR" and "Frobozzco" embedded in them, near the end.

That does everything we need to do; now all I need to do is make it simple enough, and specific enough to the product, that the boss can use the technique.

--
JHHL