Great... I did say that I wasn't familiar with the program.  I didn't know
how it was designed.

<SNIP>So please don't sit here telling me that options(*NOPASS) is
okay.</SNIP>

Geez,  I asked out of curiosity, and I get jumped on.  Look man, I didn't
know... again clarity wasn't there.  I wasn't sure if you were completely
against the ideal or just referring to CEEDOD.

When I suggested it, I wasn't telling him to go ahead and do it, I was
asking if it would work.

Please hold back on the nastiness.

Why is it that programmer's feelings are hurt so easily?  Why do we have to
be so snippy?

Nowhere did I say that Options(*NoPass) was acceptable... I was just asking
if it was okay to use if I designed it that way.  First part of you message
answered that. thanks for that... but geez, I wasn't trying to second guess
you.  This stuff is still new to me and I just ASKED...

Michael Schutte

             Scott Klement
             <rpg400-l@scottkl
             ement.com>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  RPG programming on the AS400 /
             rpg400-l-bounces@         iSeries <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             midrange.com                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             05/04/2006 03:15          Re: API CEEDOD and CEE0502  Missing
             PM                        operational descriptor.

             Please respond to
              RPG programming
              on the AS400 /
                  iSeries
             <rpg400-l@midrang
                  e.com>

> So... are you saying that *NoPass should never be used? ever? for any
> programs?  I've created a few programs where the program was prototyped
> this way (*NoPass).  "Luckily" I haven't experienced any problems.

No, I'm certainly not saying that it should NEVER be used.  I'm saying
that the two are not interchangable.

When you call a program, you need to pass that program the parameters the
way that it expects to receive them.  You can't simply say "I don't like
*OMIT, so I'll use *NOPASS instead." The only way this would be valid
is if the program that you're calling understands *NOPASS.

In this case, the OP was calling the CEEDOD API.  The API documentation
clearly labels the feedback parameter as "Omissible" which translates to
options(*omit) in RPG code.

You can't simply switch it to *NOPASS and expect it to work.

Now, if you're calling a program or procedure that you wrote yourself,
then you can make that program understand *OMIT or *NOPASS or both.  In
that case, the caller can pick and choose which method it uses to leave
the parameter off.

But the CEEDOD API is part of the ILE environment, and it was written by
IBM and you don't have the source code to change it.  When you call it,
you have to pass the parameters the way it's expecting them, you don't
have another option.

And it expects options(*OMIT), not options(*NOPASS).   So please don't sit
here telling me that options(*NOPASS) is okay.  It's not.  And if you
don't believe me, Barbara Morris (who wrote the article) can confirm what
I say.  Or Bruce Vining is who the guy in charge of APIs for IBM can
confirm it.  I'm confident that they'll agree that you can't (legally) use
options(*NOPASS) with the CEEDOD API.