Hi again Scott,

<snip>
Sorry about that, I shouldn't have said that. I definitely don't feel that
way about you. I've always thought that you are clever -- so I don't even
know where that came from.
</snip>

I don't know why, but that actually made me smile. Thanks. I wasn't fishing
for a compliment, but I'll take it! <grin>

<snip>
Oh, I don't think that's fair. Seems to me that there are a TON of people
both asking and answering questions on this forum. The volume can sometimes
be difficult to manage.
</snip>

You're probably right. I'll put that down to feeling a little grumpy myself,
and I apologise and fully retract my statement, and any inferences it may
have made.

<snip>
But, you're right, doing stuff like that isn't good for the forum. I
probably should unsubscribe. The amount of time I spend here is just
ridiculous, and I somehow always end up offending someone. So, it's not good
for me, and it's not good for Midrange.com. Why am I still here?
</snip>

Now, I must take you to task on this one Scott. :-)

The wonderful thing about this forum, unlike many I've subscribed to over
the years, is the level of dedication displayed by the list members. I never
fail to learn something new each and every week, and it's thanks, in the
main, to senior members like you. I understand that, for you, the pleasure
of participating on this forum is mainly gained through helping other
programmers take that leap into the unknown - to help them become better
than they knew they could be. I have had first-hand experience of your
guiding hand and patient help, and for that I am eternally grateful. Over
the years I have watched the group as a whole grow. I've watched new members
join. I've watched them start to ask questions. I've watched them slowly
gain more knowledge and more confidence. I've watched them welcome new
members and offer their advice when they feel they can contribute. This
culture of excellence-driven fraternal openness is admirable and all too
rare. I also sincerely believe it is the senior members, such as yourself,
who have nurtured this culture. This is why I think the list would be
significantly diminished if you left. Not to mention that nobody would ever
talk to me again! <sheepish grin>

Regarding the amount of time you spend on the list - you do it because its
great! I really, really enjoy participating on this forum. I enjoy the
things I learn, I also enjoy the little asides that spring up. Add to the
mix the odd-ball conversations and quips that are thrown in and it adds up
to good honest fun, it really does.

Before this turns into the inaugural meeting of the mutual admiration
society, I'd just like to offer my hand in friendship. I think we can safely
put this down to the way emails misrepresent our true meaning.

See you on the list.

Larry