> From: Steve Raby
>
> If the user has to wait 40 minutes from
> pushing the button to receive a change of screen then I can see an
> argument, but even a couple of seconds does not matter IMHO.

Try that argument on an end user.  A couple of seconds is just enough
time for someone to lose their train of thought, or just enough time to
piss off a customer on the phone.  A couple of seconds a few hundred
times a day adds up to hours a month lost.  Multiply that by a hundred
users, and saving a couple of hours of programming time could end up
costing a company thousands of dollars a month.

> And lets not forget
> the programmer who may have to fix or change the code in many
instances
> may not be the one who wrote it and may not be as capable or
experienced,
> so code, IMHO, should be written with that in mind.

There's no reason coding a technique efficiently can't be just as
readable as coding it inefficiently.  Take this case for example.  READC
is not rocket science, and with the appropriate comments it shouldn't be
any more difficult for the next guy.

Joe