From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 8:47 AM
To: 'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: RE: Force EOF in a Subfile

> From: Booth Martin
>
> As to efficiency in programming...  who cares about efficiency?  We
care
> about effectiveness, not efficiency.  Programs using subfile and READC
are
> user interface programs, where the importance is in ease of user use
and
> future maintenance and understanding.   Looping 500 or even 2500 times
> instead of 1 or 2 times is trivial and of no consequence.

I respectfully, but completely, disagree with this statement.
Efficiency in programming is crucial -- it's the difference between a
program that runs and one that runs well.

This sort of thinking MAY BE (emphasis on "may") fine on a dedicated
client, but it's death for a machine with 1000 users, because suddenly
instead of 2500 extra reads you've got 2.5 MILLION and that can be the
difference between a program with subsecond access and a program with
two-second access.

Yes, there are a hierarchy of factors to be addressed, with the topmost
always being "does this make my company more successful"?  And of
course, "more successful" depends on whatever upper management thinks it
is.

But in the long run, efficiency is crucial, if not critical, to the
long-term health of your systems.  Bloated code got us Windows, and
Office, and EJB.  RPG is built to create tight code... shame on the
programmer who doesn't use it that way.

Joe