As to efficiency in programming...  who cares about efficiency?  We care
about effectiveness, not efficiency.  Programs using subfile and READC are
user interface programs, where the importance is in ease of user use and
future maintenance and understanding.   Looping 500 or even 2500 times
instead of 1 or 2 times is trivial and of no consequence.

Hello Booth,

It is refreshing to hear someone say that, I for one agree, for years I have
heard, "You have to do it that way it is more efficient!"  Yes ok efficiency is
important, but are we talking if I do it my way it is going to take .000005 of
a second as opposed to .000004 if I do it yours? In my experience it has been
just that. If the user has to wait 40 minutes from pushing the button to
receive a change of screen then I can see an argument, but even a couple of
seconds does not matter IMHO.

I hasten to add I have worked for some big companies but have not had thousands
of users all trying to use the same program at the same time so in that
instance I can see problems. Saying that however there are many ways to solve a
problem/provide a solution and these can be very different for different
companies but still get the same result. And lets not forget the programmer who
may have to fix or change the code in many instances may not be the one who
wrote it and may not be as capable or experienced, so code, IMHO, should be
written with that in mind.

Just my thoughts.  :-)

Steve