From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 11:21 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: Working with IFS Files

Grizzly,

You're right, using api's does give you a granularity of control.  For
example, if it dies on row 23 you can handle the exception better.  Bob,
no slam, but moving from IBM's api to your's probably does not give the
granularity of control wanted.

We've found out that custom writing something can often be faster than
IBM's CPYTOIMPF.

With the fun and games IBM played with V5R3 and CPYTOIMPF/CPYFRMIMPF it
left a bad taste in our mouths.  And I am concerned that any of IBM's
published workarounds to get V5R3 to work like earlier releases may not be
carried over to future releases.

You may want to consider not using "a big honking character field" to
cover all anomalies from a particular column of CPYTOIMPF but instead to
use a variable length character field.  Sounds like an ideal application
for it.

Rob Berendt