Hi Griz,

<snip>
The second reason is I have a utility that uses CPYTOIMPF to copy a PF
to a .csv file.
</snip>

If you're simply generating CSV data from a DB table then...

There's a free utility out there called SQL2XLS - you simply pass it an SQL statement, an IFS file name, and a couple of other parms. It will then convert the file data to an excel spreadsheet. It's pretty good for tables with less than a few thousand rows. You get a command to use too.

Or you can generate the data as XML, including style data. The XML can then be viewed in a browser in ANY style you like.

Again, there's a free utility called SQL2XML that can do this. This is similar to the SQL2XLS utility.

Otherwise, I've got a service program which allows you to build your own XML (simply calling the procedures yourself - openDoc(), addElement(), openTag(), addAttribute(), etc...). This is quite a passive use. Or you can place configuration data into a couple of DB tables, pass the service program a couple of global values, and it will build a complete XML document using any number of SQL statements, including nested statements. You simply use procedure calls such as: loadDoc(), setGlobalValue(), runDoc() to do this. The service program uses the QSQPRCED API and prepares the statements into a SQL package. As a result, it runs extremely quickly and doesn't require the SQL pre-compiler to be installed.

Or, you can use any number of free PDF generation utilities (I think MMAIL has one).

Anyway, the point is - you can convert your DB data into XLS, PDF, XML, etc... for free, and quite easily.

You really don't need to use CSV files any more. Have a look at the other options. I mean, you can even use the option talked about earlier this month on this forum - generating HTML tables and giving the file a .XLS extension. This forces Windows to use Excel to open the file, but Excel figures out what to do and formats the table as a spreadsheet. Now that's REALLY easy, and it means you can present your data as a web page and/or a spreadsheet - after all it's all the same data.

HTH

Cheers

Larry Ducie