On 6/28/05, Fleming, Greg (ED) <GFLEMING@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Thanks.
>

> I think what I'm talking about is the distinction between the art and
> the science of programming.  I don't know if the art can be learned, but
> I'd like to try.  I'm hoping someone has written a book on it.
>
> Posts from Joe Pluta and Alan Campin and others indicate that one needs
> to study these high level programming/software engineering principles in
> order to do good programming.
>
> Maybe someone could suggest some specific authors/titles ?

a lot of programmers in the MSFT world swear by Code Complete by Steve
McConnell.  I did not get anything out of the first edition of the
book I picked up used on Amazon for a few dollars.   The second
edition I have heard good things about. Judging by how the used copies
are retaining their value, readers are holding onto their copies.

-Steve

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735619670/qid=1119964617/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-6945327-6559051?v=glance&s=books&n=507846