>>  Can you recommend some good reading for moving from structured programming
>> to "real ILE"?

So you looking for a book on ILE RPG or a book that talks about programming?

One of the best on programming is Code Complete, Second Edition from Microsoft
Press. This really goes through the basics and anything in Code Complete is
just as applicable for ILE RPG.

As far as books, I haven't really seen anything that focuses on ILE RPG. Most
of what I have seen are syntax books for RPG IV and don't go into using ILE in
depth. I will look around.

If you understand structured design concepts, then ILE just flows naturally, at
least that was true for me. I had to learn the syntax but the concepts made all
the sense in the world to me.

Others have suggested before that one of the best ways to understand the ILE
world is to look at object oriented languages.

For anyone wanting to understand object concepts, a very unique concept is the
Bluej environment available at www.bluej.com. BlueJ is a free graphical
teaching environment that focuses on teaching about objects first with a
minimum of Java. You create classes and then graphically create objects. Being
used all over the world for teaching objects. You can get the book that goes
with on Amazon.

Objects First with Java
A Practical Introduction using BlueJ, 2nd ed
Prentice Hall / Pearson Education, 2004
ISBN 0-13-124933-9

The other thing to look at learning some "C". Since RPG IV is just a nice clean
version of "C"(My opinion only), learning "C" made things a lot clear for me or
least the basics.

Here is an electronic book on "C"

http://www.freshsources.com/thinkc.html

Don't know if I am answering your question or not. Maybe you can amplify what
the issues are that you struggling with.