I have started using Call-level interface SQL. It seems to work as expected,
while a bit more complex than embedded. I have noticed that SELECT
statements executed against the local DB (served on the AS/400 the RPG
program is running on), don't seem to perform as well as straight RPGIV.
Obviously, there is more flexibility, using ORDER BY, JOINs, etc., but I had
hoped that the speed would be at least the same, if not better than RPG.

I did a non-scientific comparison of filling up a four-field subfile, then
displaying it. No ORDER BYs, or anything, just pick the first 9999 records,
and display them. The SQL program takes double the time of a similar RPG
program. I know how to improve sorting/joining/IF select statements with
indexing, but this is just straight arrival-sequence reading.

Has anybody else had this experience also? Can I do file overrides that will
influence the performance of the SQL statements?