Tony,

Under the SQL CLI interface, you can do file
overrides, just before generating a result set, but
I'm not sure how it might improve performance.

I've noticed quite a bit of "initialization" overhead
associated with SQL CLI, but runtime performance is
comparable to what I get while using SQL
interactively, via the STRSQL command, which has been
"good enough" for me.  Are you comparing
initialization, or runtime performance?

I've never run into a case where traditional I/O
couldn't beat an SQL statement.

Nathan.