That "(the company gives me no "play time" or training on their time.)"
really irks me.  You have no idea just how much that irks me.  Let me see,
the OSG's are reluctant to change, but I also see that the company is not
giving them an easy path to change anyway.  I guess that's why I love it
where I am right now.  I'm an RPGLE programmer that was asked to learn
Java.  My intro course was paid for, and then I asked for books, they were
paid for.  Then I asked for the TIME to build one of our projects in Java
so that I could learn thru doing.  I was given a Java project with no time
limit to complete.  Hence, 2 months later, I now have a java application
almost ready for production, and a wealth of knowledge thru "playing".
It's too bad that companies don't have the foresight to see that if you
want your employees to "move ahead" and "change with technology" that they
should encourage them to spend some time to learn new things.  I know that
after a long day at work, the LAST thing I want to do is go learn some new
tech for a company that doesn't consider the new tech important enough to
pay for.  Now, if I'm worried my career is at stake, that's a different
story.

Ron Power
Programmer
Information Services
City Of St. John's, NL
P.O. Box 908
St. John's, NL
A1C 5M2
Tel: 709-576-8132
Email: rpower@xxxxxxxxxx
Website: http://www.stjohns.ca/
Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm. -
Sir Winston Churchill

"Jim Franz" <jfranz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/06/2005 02:56 PM
Please respond to

"RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Web Interfacing Advantages?

For business reasons, I have begun to change the user interface
to gui (a VB app) when there was a requirement
to merge AS400 data from a green screen app into multiple Word docs.
Other green screen apps are sure to follow.
Walden, - what is the best way for a green screen rpg'r to learn .Net ?
(the company gives me no "play time" or training on their time.
jim franz