Phew! This has been a funny week - and it's only Tuesday. There seems to be
a lot of energy spent on various converations about the RPG language, and
it's future.

As convention dictates, I'll now share some of my thoughts [load magazines
and take aim :-) ]

1) The RPG programming community (on this list) seems to consist of three
types of RPG programmers. Firstly, there is the veteran (been there, done
that) who has seen the RPG language mature over the years. This programmer
has an enviable understanding of the iSeries architecture, because s/he has
watched each little piece get added by IBM. Secondly, there is the
programmer who has arrived at RPG from another programming background. This
programmer also has a great understanding of the iSeries architecture,
derived from a perspective that allows them to see how each language tackles
common programming problems such as memory management, database integrity,
etc. Obviously, there is considerable overlap between these two types.
Finally, there is the camp I fall into. This consists of programmers who
have been coding primarily in RPG III and/or RPG IV, for 1 -to- 10+ years.
Our understanding of the iSeries architecture, until recently, was
restricted to /QSYS.LIB,  /QDLS, and a small fraction of the database (via
F-specs and limited SQL knowledge). For us, the iSeries now seems like an
open vista. Speaking personally, the adage "the more you know, the more you
realise how little you know." has never seemed so obviously relevant. I
crawled out of /QSYS.LIB, bleary-eyed, blinking in the sunlight... (OK you
get the idea <grin/>). My point is, When I ask a question such as "Why no
header files in RPG" - it's from this perspective. You type-one and type-two
programmers need to understand that such questions are indicative of an
enquiring mind slowly coming to terms with the idea that the programming
world is a WHOLE LOT bigger than it originally thought. But MOST importantly
for me, is the realisation that all of this is within my grasp. That's the
beauty of RPG!!! I love it! RPG has given me "a perspective". It's not
necessarily the "best perspective". But at least I now have one. I have
since learned a little java, I'm learning C++. I've written a HTTP client
service program in RPG. I've written CGI programs (RPG on the iSeries, and
C++ for my apache baby on my PC at home). I've written code that creates
XML. I'm writing a generic service program that transforms XML into SQL
insert statements and executes them over the database - allowing me to
decompose ANY xml doc into database tables of my choosing. With any luck,
I'm on my way to becoming a type-one/type-two hybrid! Woohoo!!! Just give it
another 10 years or so.

2) RPG isn't dying. If it is it'll be because we killed it.
We can write PC client applications using VARPG - linked to a WONDERFUL
database management system.
We can write web applications using RPG CGI.
We can write RPG socket client and/or server applications, allowing us to
communicate with ANY external application.
We can write industry-busting fast, reliable, maintainable, reusable
BUSINESS software. Read that again "BUSINESS" software. (RPG again)

All in one language!
Now, I could use Vb, C++, or java for PC applications.
I could use java servlets or PHP for the web app.
I could use C, C++ or java for the server apps.
I'm sorry, but I'll still have to write my fast, reliable, maintainable,
reusable "BUSINESS" software in RPG. What other choice do I have? :-)

So, if I already know RPG then being able to code the apps listed above
should simply be a case of extending my knowledge of RPG's capabilities - no
great leap of faith there eh? However, I'm currently learning other
languages (namley java and C++). Not to get out of coding in RPG, but I
think it broadens the mind.

3) Regarding the green-screen.
The main problem with 5250 is not that it isn't sexy. It's problem is that
it's so darn good. You buy a unix box - you ain't got anything. You need to
ring Oracle to get yourself a database, you need to ring various vendors to
load their software to get a presentable user interface. You may then need
to create a n-tier architecture (putting your database on one machine, your
applications on another, and if you're serving web pages you'll need another
machine for this). Add load-balancers and a few caches and you're nearly
there. The problem we have is that people who buy this set-up know that they
need to spend BIG. With the iSeries you get a perfectly servicable, solid
user-interface for free - 5250. If it wasn't so good iSeries shops would
have loaded (and become dependant upon) vendor products many years ago.

I'm now starting to raise expectation levels within my team/dept by
developing demo apps - I'm coding some sample CGI programs in my spare time.
I'm also looking into developing VARPG apps that could be used a demo models
(hint - any good coding examples would be most welcome). If management want
pretty-pretty screens then I'm going to make sure they don't go off-shore
for them. They'll get RPG, and they'll like it.

There it is - the inside of my head. :-)

I'm 34 and I've no plans to start an exodus from RPG. On the contrary, I've
still got a lot more of RPG to explore.

Cheers

Larry Ducie