Hi Joe,

> While Jon and Susan provide RPG classes
> that are outstanding, they seem geared towards
> "skill enhancement" rather than introduction.
> While this makes sense for their target
> audience, I wonder if there isn't a need for
> a tutorial on RPG?

I don't think there is a need for an RPG tutorial, and this is how my
thinking goes.  RPG isn't a difficult language.  It doesn't have the
interesting character set of APL, nor does it have the complex OO
techniques of Smalltalk.  It's very straightforward, even with the
concept of externalised I/O.  About the only thing a beginner really
needs help on (that is, something that isn't found in C, Java, or VB)
is external device files like display and printers.  Especially
subfiles and how the various indicators affect the output.

I've been chastised in the past as being simplistic, and perhaps I am.
However, I have trained at least a dozen RPG programmers and my
experience is that they 'get it' pretty quickly.  The next step,
actually using what they've learnt, is the key in my opinion.  All too
often, they get thrown into the shop and don't get enough followup.
They gradually adopt the less-optimum coding habits from existing code
in the code base.  Soon they are copying code from one program into
another, rather than taking the time to create a procedure/service
program out of it.  Bad habits become ingrained and the new programmer
is making the same mistakes we made in 1980.

Scott's plan is the best one.  Give real life examples to be worked
on.  Actually make a change and follow it through the maintainance
process, from check-out to production.  When the new programmer can
work with less direct supervision, make sure to peer review her code
in the design stage - better yet is to have her peer review someone
else's more complex work.  Show her the way you _want_ to do things
and don't focus on the way they've been done in the past.  That will
come all too naturally as she works her way through the code base.

What to do with really old code is always a good question, but it's
not intractable.  Mostly, really old code (say L1M1 stuff) is really
old for a reason - it works great just the way it is.  Maintenance on
that stuff is typically something akin to adding a new column or a new
level break.  These chores aren't difficult with a working example
sitting in front of you.

I don't think it is difficult to teach a C/VB programmer RPG IV.
Presuming the programmer is familiar with basic CIS concepts, moving
from one procedural language to another just isn't that tough.  Hiring
a completely green person (not a programmer) and having to teach
programming, OS400, DDS and RPG all at once is a completely different
issue and is much more difficult.

  --buck