Michael Jacobsen wrote:
> (Buck wrote:)
> > 'Resource.'  As if programmers are casters on the bottom of chairs, to
> > be replaced at a whim.  Electricity, water and heat are resources.
> > Money is a resource.  Programmers are people.  HR-PC-gibberish-speak
> > demeans us all.  Sorry, this isn't aimed at any one in particular, but
> > the PC-speech has really got under my skin of late.  HR types repeat
> > this sort of stuff until they believe it and then we're hosed.
> >   --buck
>
> Not trying to get under your skin or anything, but I disagree.  A labor
> force is a resource.  That not only includes the programmers who "are
> casters on the bottom of chairs," but also top management.  It includes
> all people who contribute to the productivity of a company.  Hmm... Maybe
> I've been brain-washed.  :)

Umm, yes you have.  <g>

When I start hearing people being referred to as "resources", I wonder how
soon the outsourcing begins.  A resource is a cost to the company, and if
you can get rid of a cost, all the better.  Getting rid of a cost resource
is easier to stomach than letting go of a living, breathing person that
supports a family (more people), supports the community, etc.

I'm starting to go down a road that I really have no interest in on a Friday
afternoon.

db