>> Holding up compiler development just penalizes those who do upgrade.

I guess I just don't understand the rational for this line of thinking.
Is the presumption that it would now take IBM longer for Hans and Barbara &
Co. to do enhancements? Why's that?
You mean if they were working with a code base that could ship for V5R1 and
later today, the current list of V5R3 enhancements would some how take
longer to finish? I thought those features were already finish but were now
being revisited since IBM is not shipping V5.3 until next year.  If the
compiler were release-independent, they could have shipped those cool new
features to all of us.
Tieing things to a version/release of OS/400 penalizes everyone, as well as
those who upgrade regularly because they too have to wait for the entire
release to ship before taking advantage of a new release of the compiler.
And Jon, aren't you still using Office 2000? After all, that is an old
product that is two releases old, isn't it?  :)

Bob Cozzi
Cozzi Consulting
www.rpgiv.com