>>Why use structured programming techniques when GOTOs work just as well?

Remember the GOTO debates of the 70's?  Yes, there were many programmers
holding on to their spaghetti code.  Where are they now?

MWalter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/23/2003 08:07 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Benefits of Sub-procedures

Some will never be convinced. I worked for a guy that didn't want me to us
subroutines. I'm sure his code is still top down RPG III.

Maybe you need to ask the question back, why use subfiles when SRLN works
just as well? Why use OPNQRYF when sorts work just as well? Why use
structured programming techniques when GOTOs work just as well?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark D. Walter
Senior Programmer/Analyst
CCX, Inc.
mwalter@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ccxinc.com

|         |           "Bob Cagle"       |
|         |           <bcagle@xxxxxxxxxx|
|         |           m>                |
|         |           Sent by:          |
|         |           rpg400-l-bounces@m|
|         |           idrange.com       |
|         |           10/22/2003 05:05  |
|         |           PM                |
|         |           Please respond to |
|         |           RPG programming on|
|         |           the AS400 /       |
|         |           iSeries           |
|                                                     |
|       To:       <RPG400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>                     |
|       cc:                                                     |
|       Subject:  Benefits of Sub-procedures                        |

I'm looking for some ammo, guys!

I personally have been using RPGIV and sub-procedures, service programs,
etc. since '96.  But I am running into an ever increasing number of
programmers that ask the basic question "Why use a sub-procedure when it
does the same thing as a program call?"

I always spout the performance benefits, plus the ability to call a
procedure from within an expression and return a value.  But even then
it sometimes isn't enough to convince them.

Can anyone give me some more compelling reasons for switching completely
to ILE RPGIV?  Remember, these are typical business programmers and
statements like "it's cool/fun/looks & works like java/etc." is just
even more of a turnoff for them.  I'm looking to give some sound
business reasons for the change.

p.s. And I have tried arguing easier maintenance - which they will
always argue that pure ILE RPGIV is harder to maintain because of the
increased number of objects and source members to keep track of!

Bob Cagle
IT Manager
Lynk, Inc.
913-492-9202 x41