Rob,

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 16:19, rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Yes, let's debate this one intelligently.  I am trying to compromise
> between some people on my shop on this one.  Most of those who object,
> performance wise, against a big service program and/or a big /COPY of all
> the prototypes for the service program are those who wouldn't use a
> service program not written by them regardless.

I'm sure you already know, but a big /copy will not affect performance
one iota.  Oh it might slow down the compiler an nth of a second to find
and open the source member but having unused prototypes in a program in
no way affects performance.

Having a large service program may (and several large service programs
would) affect performance, but not as much as many small service
programs.  There is more overhead in opening a bunch of little guys than
one big guy.  I'd be curious to hear their arguments.

It's a shame about not using someone else's service programs, that means
they are really missing out on one of the great features of ILE.  Do
they use QC2LE?

Joel
http://www.rpgnext.com